Bonny Island LNG project
ARCHIVE ONLY - NOT MAINTAINED Nigeria's Bonny Island LNG Project Corruption Case Summary
Brown & Root (KBR), the British subsidiary of Halliburton, has been accused of offering a USD $180M bribe to Nigerian officials to secure a contract for the construction of the Bonny Island liquefied natural gas (LNG) plant. Other scandals have plagued the Bonny Island operations, and at the same time the operations threaten a large area of mangrove forests, which local people depend upon for fishing. The US ExIm Bank and the UK ECGD back this project. SACE of Italy and NCM (now Atradius) of the Netherlands also have provided backing.
- KBR executive pleades guilty in ECA supported Bonny Island bribe scandal (Wall Street Journal, New York, 4 September 2008) In a wide-ranging foreign-corruption investigation, fired former Halliburton Co. executive Albert J. "Jack" Stanley has pleaded guilty to orchestrating more than $180 million in bribes to senior Nigerian government officials.
- UK Serious Fraud Office investigates murky Nigerian oil deal with ECA support(Financial Times, London, 7 August 2006) The investigation by the UK Serious Fraud Office into an alleged Nigerian bribery scandal involving a Halliburton subsidiary is the latest twist in a case that exemplifies the lucrative, murky and highly political world of western oil interests in Africa.
- SEC Subpoenas Chicago Bridge On ECA funded Nigerian Work (Reuters, 22 August 2005) The SEC is investigating payments made by a construction consortium led by Halliburton Co. to determine whether any Nigerian officials were bribed to win the Bonny Island LNG contract which received extensive support from Ex-Im Bank, ECGD and other European ECAsxx
- Britain and Nigeria's half-hearted war on corruption ((Financial Express, 21 October 2005) Britain's ECGD has shown little inclination to follow up allegations that a client agreed to pay $170m of bribes to secure billions of dollars of work on a giant Nigerian gas plant.
- Taxpayers' Cash 'Funding Corrupt Deals' November 30, 2004 (File on 4: BBC Radio) - Transcript of a radio program on the Bonny Island scandals.
- In Bonny It Never Becomes Light Anymore July 13, 2004 (NRC-Handelsblad, Netherlands) Translation by Both ENDS - about the struggles of the community living in proximity to the Bonny Island plant.
- Halliburton and Bribery, Bonny Island, Nigeria: Corruption Case 2005 by UNICORN Anti-corruption Network - a collection of reference material on the Bonny Island corruption case.
- Bonny Island fact sheet 2003 by Both ENDS
- A Nigerian Contract at the Heart of a Corruption Affair December 20, 2003 (Le Figaro) by Eric Decouty, translated from the French - covers the French judicial investigation of the Bonny Island bribery case.